Sunday, April 15, 2007

What an Amazing Week!

Here are some photos in backwards chronological order: 1. Wow! It's really raining! 2. Looks pretty overcast... 3. Starting to cloud up. 4. I see some blue sky! 5. Here is my blueberry head.





Wow! Where to begin with this week! First off, I met my fundraising goal, which feels great! Really awesome! True to my word, I let my donor students vote on which color I would dye my hair and the winner was...blue! Yikes! I'm Smurfette...for a couple of weeks. Even the worst hair day has got to be better than the best hair day on chemo.

On Wednesday night we ran the Alcatraz run course. It was rather strenuous, to put it mildly. At one point, climbing up off the beach, I realized I had actually ceased running and was walking. And was it ever some agonizing walking! I felt like I was climbing out of the depths of hell. Every step was laborious but I knew it was putting me closer to being off the climb. Those people who signed up for the Alcatraz tri are hard core!

On Saturday it was very rainy, windy, and cold. We had a practice tri on Treasure Island. It was my first open water swim, and I was fully prepared to have a freak-out, which I had. Temperature-wise, the swimming was the best part because compared to the wind and rain, getting in the ocean was no big deal. I had a lot of trouble putting my face in at first because it was cold and disorienting. When I finally did, I just couldn't swim regularly. About a third of the way in, I relaxed and got my regular rhythm. Go me!

The biking basically sucked because we had to do a zillion flat loops in our wet tri suits in the wind and rain. Gaaaa. The running was a little better once it got underway. It felt really weird at first to be running with numb feet. I felt like I was running on two leg stumps or maybe two brick feet until they un-numbed (I hesitate to say they every "warmed up") and then I was able to feel that, yes, they were in fact still soaking wet.

Yay! I did a triathlon! I bet it will be a lot more fun in Hawaii.

So far this blog has been rated PG but the name of the workout we did today will probably bump it into the PG-13 category. We did a bike-run-bike in Fairfax called the Alpine Asskicker. Within the first short mile, said anatomical region was duly and truly kicked, and there were still 15 miles of biking and 40 minutes of running to go. Fortunately, the vistas were breathtaking (hint hint we were in major hill territory) and the weather was awesome! Nike was surely watching over us from Mount Olympus today. I forgive him for all that cruddy weather yesterday.

Well, I'm beat. Go Team!

No comments: