Sunday, April 29, 2007

A Farewell to Blue Hair

Well, the blue hair enjoyed a two-week stint atop my head. At the end of the second week, I was starting to look like a little old lady due to the fade factor, so I had a colored back to its regularly scheduled blonde hue. Sigh.

On Thursday we had an inspirational sports psychologist guest speaker to get us mentally prepared for our races. Many aspects of this lecture were valuable, one of the most important ideas I came away with is that I need to have one mantra each for swimming, biking, and running that I can use when (note: not IF, but WHEN) I am fatigued and want to give up during each leg of the race. I spent a lot of time this week figuring out what my mantras would be, and fortunately, I came up with all three.

Yesterday was my first foray into the mighty (and mighty brisk!) waters of San Francisco's very own Aquatic Park. Wow! That is some cold water. I am SO GLAD I bought the wetsuit bonnet, but I wish I had something to cover my hands and feet with! After the first ten minutes, they went numb, but then after about thirty minutes they started to cramp. That was when I tried out my swimming mantra, which worked like a charm. In the spirit of this blog's rating, I can't reveal the whole mantra, but I will give a clue. It's from a Snoop Dogg song, and it starts with "G's up." I will say no more, but if you know it, you know why it's a good swimming mantra. Here I am after a successful dip in the Bay...don't I look delighted?



We ran from A(quatic) P(ark) to the S(ports) B(asement) afterwards and it was surprisingly enjoyable!

The Wildflower race is next weekend (haha, camping for those folks...Hyatt Honolulu for me!) so our bike today was nothing major. We rode 25 miles down in San Mateo. The day started off blustery but ended up being a sunburn day. Rats. It was a beautiful out-and-back to Woodside. All in all, I've gotta say it was a good day.

2 comments:

DMK said...

That's crazy Rebecca and I'm glad you reach your monetary goal! I bet you are in much better shape than I am for our summer ride. I don't get on my bike enough each week, school saps the time away. Drats, I'll try harder.

The Stumblesaurus said...

40 miles to freedom...do you want buns of steel or not?