Monday, May 26, 2008

Ahhh! Shark!

Good grief. I joke about sharks in the Bay all the time. They guard Alcatraz. They eat seals. They eat triathletes. Giggle, giggle, haha. UNTIL LAST SUNDAY! A real, live shark entered Aquatic Park and all swimmers had to evacuate. From the shore, we watched its sharky top fin slice the water like a (somewhat smaller) version of Jaws. Gulp.

As if that's not bad enough, I also recently discovered that the Hawaiian islands are NOT shark-free as I had formerly understood them to be. Nay, they are the stomping grounds (chomping grounds?) of ferocious tiger sharks. Remember the time that adorable 13-year-old surfer girl got her arm brutally bitten off? Yeah, well, it was a tiger shark off one (umm, which one, not sure) of the Hawaiian islands that did it!

Mantras are not going to work in a shark situation. I am going to have to resort to Plan-B: strap a hunting knife to my thigh from now on when swimming in saltwater any place, any time. I can only hope that's race legal.

No comments: