Thursday, May 1, 2008

Water noodles are for exercise classes only!

That's my fancy way of saying the outdoor pool was closed, and I had received no prior notification via listserv, when I arrived for at the gym Tuesday for my final pre-Wildflower swim. What did I do? I swam indoors, in Chlorine Town, right next to the toddlers and parents who reside across the lane lines in Urineville, the land of many swim lessons. Good grief, that pool must have been 85 degrees. Definitely not wetsuit legal.

Other than that, I am ready to rock. Over the course of this season, I have had some doubts about my preparedness, but Todd and Tom have brought me to a place of inner peace. Todd has reassured me that I have put in the miles on my bike and I am ready. And at the risk of sounding emotional (I usually avoid that, and therefore when I try to do it, I come off sounding either sarcastic or corny) I will be thinking of Todd the whole race. Yes, I will think of Jessica and JP. I race for them. They inspire me with their will, spirit, and unending courage. But Todd has gotten my through a lot of hard practices and I am so happy, so happy for his remission. So many conversations on long runs and long car rides over to Marin. All that Saturday afternoon traffic on Divisadero is extra time to talk.

Tom and I have created the "chocolate cake zone," a special place in your mind you can go when the race gets tough at the end.

He has also reminded me time and time again that I TOAST him at sprints on the track. Even though I think I hate running, I know I have the ability to power past multiple racers at the finish. I did it in Honolulu. I did it in Santa Cruz. I will do it Saturday.

Bring on the water noodles. I am prepared for all types of exercise.

No comments: