Sunday, April 27, 2008

Let's Get it On!

Let's just focus on today's workout, shall we?

So, it all starts with A CERTAIN MS. PAMELA SCHWARTZ emailing her entire mentor group a link to an article about a fatal shark attack off the San Diego coast yesterday. The poor guy was a triathlete! I have always been terrified of sharks, traditionally of the great white variety, but more recently of the tiger shark variety, (since I learned they live in abundance around the Hawaiian islands...that teen surfer girl lost her arm to one and I met a man last weekend who encountered some having a feeding frenzy on a dead cow in Captain Cook Bay) so this concrete piece of evidence of sharks in places they usually don't go, where triathletes swim, FRIGHTENED me. Yes, it did, because today was our final swim in the (now) dreaded Aquatic Park before Wildflower (WHICH IS NEXT WEEKEND. WHO HERE IS FREAKING OUT AND USING CAPS TO SHOW IT?).

Did I sleep last night?
No.

Did I have an upset stomach all morning?
Yes.

Did I have other related gastric distress? (Trying to be polite here...)
Yes.

Did I get in that damn bay and swim?
Yes!

How was it?
Well, it was terrible. It was! First, we had to do three race starts. Three! In a row! Although I have to admit, it was fun to practice hitting and kicking the new kids so they know what to expect on race day. And THEN we had to swim the perimeter. In case that doesn't signify anything to you, fair readers, allow me to explain. The swim buoys are well within the protected cove area of Aquatic Park. So, although the water is unbelievably frigid, at least you can convince yourself there's no real way a shark could wander all the way in. It's like a lobster trap, right? And their sharky sensibilities know better. Swimming the perimeter, on the other hand, means you are way out there, (definitely more than 150 meters out, and we all know Mr. San Diego was only 150 meters off the coast when Jaws chomped his legs off. CHOMPED HIS LEGS OFF. Please refer to my post from March 11, 2007 if you need clarification about this issue) away from the safety of shore, and much closer to that scary gap in the breakwater that permits things from the real ocean to drift/swim/deliberately seek prey in Aquatic Park.

Needless to say, I survived.

After all this doom and gloom, I'd like to end on a high note. On Wednesday, I was again reminded of the beauty of the world. Get it while you can.

1 comment:

Lawrence Chang said...

i was there too. i was however too busy thinking about the sea lion (which i saw right before i jumped into the water). you didn't see it? oh... now you have one more thing to worry about ;-p

good luck for your WF.