Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Whose Pool Rocks?

I have to admit, I have really been spoiled in terms of pools. It all began at UCSC, when Nate and I decided to take swimming class. The pool at UCSC is AMAZING! To be fair, it's true that some of our fond memories have less to do with the pool itself than of the people in it. Our first swim instructor, Julie, was my inspiration to race in the Sentinel triathlon (check that one of the list, baby!). And fortunately, no one but Nate and myself remembers the hilarious "Lindsey incident" of 2001. Perhaps even more hilarious was the obscene zebra-print Speedo Tyler used to wear to impress the ladies during class the following year. But I digress.

After a traumatic pool experience as members of the Saratoga YMCA (indoor pool only...too many fumes...elderly doing water aerobics...small children in pool diapers) we are SO back on track at the new UCSF pool (those Regents don't get much right, but they sure can build pools!). Our current pool has the following awesome attributes:

1. Proximal to 22nd street CalTrain station
2. Proximal to Potrero Sports Basement
3. Rooftop!
4. Heated, especially on the weekends
5. Incredible view of the downtown skyline (see item #3)
6. No diapers :0) (There's also an indoor pool...yikes...that pool is at least 100 degrees...stay away!)
7. The enticing aroma of the Anchor Brewery

Let's be fair here. Nothing is perfect. I would change the following about the UCSF pool:
1. Gale-force winds in the pm hours
2. The bike locks. WHY REINVENT THE WHEEL? I can't stand those preposterous contraptions!

Nate and I swim there a lot. Nate is a great swimming partner, but he always beats me, even though he swims, like, half as often as do I. He has the height advantage. He is like a graceful dolphin in the pool, and I am like a trout trying to go over one of those little bridges that protects fish from the California Aquaduct. Sigh. Slow and steady wins the race, anyway, right?

No comments: